Manage Duplicate Files to Recover Disk Space
Everybody likes having a fast, responsive, and well-organized computer. But after several months of use computers start slowing down and your hard drive becomes a lot less organized. Documents get saved to various folders and are later forgotten, unsorted photos are uploaded to multiple locations, songs are downloaded from the Internet and are left on the desktop. Eventually you lose track of it all and end up having hundreds of duplicate files.
Duplicate files can be left by software applications and by copying and pasting files. They can be a huge waster of hard drive space. And some people actually make it worse by knowingly creating unnecessary copies to back up data. However, these backups are absolutely useless in case of a system failure. That’s why it’s a good idea to manage duplicate files and delete the ones you don’t need. Not only will deleting duplicate files help you to get your files and folders organized, but it will also speed up your computer. Disk indexing, file search, and defragmentation will become a lot faster and your antivirus scans will take less time to complete. Windows has built-in tools to remove junk files and defragment hard drives, which can help you to speed up your computer. But Windows doesn’t have a tool to help you manage duplicate files and organize your disk space usage. Fortunately, there are a lot of third-party applications that can find, manage, and delete duplicate files. Some of them are made to manage specific types of files, such as music or photos and other images. There are even applications to manage duplicate files created by iTunes! Other programs are designed to find and manage all types of files.
Choosing a good duplicate file finder can be tricky, because some programs can either miss copies or even worse – delete files that are not duplicates. This can happen when different files have similar names.
A lot of duplicate file finders only match files by name and date of creation, which means they can easily make a mistake. That’s why it’s always better to get a duplicate file finder that can match files by content. There are programs, such as Easy Duplicate File Finder, that use a special algorithm that compares files byte by byte to ensure that there can be no mistake.
Once you have the software, managing duplicate files is easy. Just launch the program and perform a scan to identify duplicate files. Then you will be able to review the list and select the duplicates you want to remove. The program will do the rest.
Managing duplicate files is a part of computer maintenance that is often overlooked. Nevertheless, it can help you free up a lot of disk space, speed up your computer, and organize your files and folders.
- How to Find and Delete Duplicate Files with Easy Duplicate Finder™
- Manage Duplicate Files to Recover Disk Space
- How to Delete Duplicate Contacts in Outlook
- Why Does Dropbox Duplicate Files and How to Stop That from Happening
- Tips and Tricks to Increase Google Drive Space without Upgrading Your Plan
- How to Find Duplicate Photos on Your Laptop (and Get Rid of Them!)
- Computer Cleanup Challenge: Declutter Your PC in Less Than 10 Minutes
- 5 Mistakes that Are Slowing Down Your Computer
- How to View Disk Space Usage on Windows and Manage It Effectively
- 5 Great Ways to Clean Up Your Google Drive
- 5 Ways Duplicate Files Are Ruining Your Productivity
- How to Effectively Manage Storage Space on Your Work Computer
- 10 Tips and Tricks for Working with Files on Your Windows 10 PC