Duplicate Removal Utility - Duplicate Song Finder
Find Duplicate Music Files via Audio Tags
Easy Duplicate Finder™ offers music lovers two different ways of searching for duplicate audio files. They can search by scanning the content of the files, through one of our comparison methods – or they can search based on the ID tags that most music files contain.
What are Music ID Tags?
Most audio files have ‘tags’ built-in which are bits of information that describe the music, such things as: Song title, Artist name, Album name, Year and Genre. You likely have noticed this when you play an MP3 file – the name of the song will display on your device. This information is coming from the ID tag, and Easy Duplicate Finder™ can use this data to make comparisons with. What that means is that you can scan all your drives and search for matching artist names, for matching song titles, or for a combination of many tags. This provides the user a powerful way to organize and optimize your audio files.
How to Optimize Your Music List
If you have lots of music on your computer, you may have several versions of the same song. Maybe the music is identical, but the filenames are different. Or maybe the song is the same, but you have multiple copies each recorded at a different bit rate. What the ID Tag feature allows you to do is to perform a search for duplicates based only on song title, for instance. When the results are displayed you’ll be shown the different characteristics of each version of the same song. From the list you can then decide whether to eliminate versions of the song you no longer want. This frees up disk space on your computer, your music device and can eliminate hearing the same song more than once.
Q. I have a huge collection of Aerosmith songs, I’ve collected hundreds of songs but many are duplicates. Some are live versions; some copies are better than others. I just want one of each. What can I do?
A. The process of organizing these songs manually would be a long and cumbersome task. But with ID Tag comparing in Easy Duplicate Finder™ it’s fast and simple. The steps are:
- Set Easy Duplicate Finder™ into Audio Tag Mode (Compare Music Tags)
- Set the Music Tags settings to look at the song Title Tags
- Choose the folders, and drives of where to look for Aerosmith songs
- Press "Start"
- When the search completes a list of results is produced. This report will show the following characteristics about each song listed: Title, Artist, Album, and Duration. It may also show: Track, Year, Genre and Bit Rate depending on your settings.
- Each song will belong to a numbered duplicate group allowing you to decide which version to keep – based on the characteristics of the file.
- That’s all there is to it, you can use this process to view all the song duplicates and select which ones to delete of move off to a different folder.
•Tip: you can double-click on any song and it will begin playing in the associated music player on your computer.
Viewing the Results
After the search has completed and you have a full listing of results, you can change what is displayed in the report. To do so right-click on the header bar above the results, a listing of display choices will drop down. Choose which ones you want to display.
Create a Custom Report
At any time after you’ve scanned your audio files you can produce a professional-looking report formatted automatically in HTML complete with hyperlinks (viewable in all browsers). To create the report click on the ‘Export List to File’ button and choose ‘HTML’. This is a great way to see and keep track of what’s in your music library.
Tags Supported for these Audio Formats:
- FLAC Files (*.flac)
- MPEG Audio Files (*.mp4, *.m4a, *.m4v, *.mp3, *.mp3PRO, *.mp2,)
- OGG Files (*.ogg)
- WAVE Files (*.wav)
- Windows Media Audio Files (*.wma)
- Real Audio Files (*.RA, *.RM)
Click here for a video tutorial on using this feature.