Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I'm updating to Windows 10. Will your software continue to work?
We've become aware of an Easy Duplicate Finder™ registration glitch that some people experience when they update to Windows 10. We've investigated the problem and found a solution. So, if you are planning to update to Windows 10, please follow these steps before you run the update:
- Open Easy Duplicate Finder™ and click on "About" from the dropdown menu in the top right corner
- Make a note of your registration code, then select "Remove key" and close the program
- Update your operating system to Windows 10
- Open Easy Duplicate Finder™ again and click on the "Register Now" button
- Select "Already a customer? Click here" located at the left bottom of the pop-up window
- Enter your license code
- Click "Continue" and continue to enjoy Easy Duplicate Finder™
What is the best way to scan my computer for duplicate files?
With Easy Duplicate Finder™, you can find and delete duplicate files in just a few clicks. Here is how:
- Open Easy Duplicate Finder™ and drop some folders you want to scan into the "Drop Folders Here to Scan" area. You can also click on "Add folders" and select folders without dragging and dropping.
- Click on the green Start Scan button to start the scan.
- When Easy Duplicate Finder™ finishes the scan, you can click on the "Go Fix Them!" button to examine the scan results.
- Click on "Manage Duplicates" and select "Delete Selected", then tell the program to put the duplicates in the Recycle Bin or Trash.
- If you don't want to examine the scan results and prefer to let Easy Duplicate Finder™ delete duplicates automatically, click on the "Remove All Now" link under the "Go Fix Them" button.
I think I have a lot of duplicates. Is Easy Duplicate Finder™ the right program to deal with them?
If you want to find and remove exact duplicates, then Easy Duplicate Finder™ is for you. With the help of this program you will be able to manage duplicate documents, photos, songs, videos, emails and more. There are lots of different options and scan methods that guarantee accurate results and make the search quick and easy.
However, if you are looking for a program to manage your photos, we suggest that you try Duplicate Photo Cleaner alongside Easy Duplicate Finder™. While Easy Duplicate Finder™ is great for finding exact copies of your photos, Duplicate Photo Cleaner can detect similar images of the same subject. This feature is ideal for those who have a large image library and want to get rid of poor quality shots quickly.
Is Easy Duplicate Finder™ available in any other languages?
Easy Duplicate Finder™ is available in English, German and Russian.
Where can I download a portable version of Easy Duplicate Finder™?
At this time we don't offer a portable version of Easy Duplicate Finder™.
What is the difference between Easy Duplicate Finder™ and Duplicate Photo Cleaner?
Both Easy Duplicate Finder™ and Duplicate Photo Cleaner are designed to find and delete duplicate files. The main difference between these two apps is that Easy Duplicate Finder™ works with duplicates of all file types, whereas Duplicate Photo Cleaner works with images only. In addition to that, Easy Duplicate Finder™ can only find exact duplicates. Duplicate Photo Cleaner is different because it can detect both identical and similar images, such as resized and edited photos. It can also find photos in different formats (a .JPG file vs. a .PNG file, for example).
If you are having trouble choosing between Easy Duplicate Finder™ and Duplicate Photo Cleaner, ask yourself what types of duplicates you want to find. Easy Duplicate Finder™ is ideal if you want to delete duplicate documents, songs, photos, emails and videos from your computer. But if all you want to do is organize your extensive image library, consider getting Duplicate Photo Cleaner. It will not only help you find and delete duplicate photos, but also let you easily sort through similar shots and decide which ones to keep and which to delete or move.
License & Registration
I'm trying to register Easy Duplicate Finder™, but it's not working. Can you help?
There are a few things that may prevent the activation of the product, including:
- Your UAC (User Account Control) settings in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10. When that's the case, simply close Easy Duplicate Finder™, then right-click on its shortcut on your desktop and select "Run as administrator". Then proceed to register the program.
- Your firewall or anti-virus programs may be preventing changes to your computer. Even ones you want to make such as registering your product. Try disabling your security software temporarily and proceed with product registration.
How do I activate Easy Duplicate Finder™ via email?
To activate Easy Duplicate Finder™ via email, follow these steps:
- Verify that you have entered your license key correctly.
- Click on the "Activate by email" link under the activate license button. Send the email using your email client.
- You will receive a reply containing your 4-line activation code.
- Copy the license code and paste it in the appropriate field in Easy Duplicate Finder™.
- Click on Activate and you're all set.
Note: if you use webmail (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.), copy the address, the subject and the body into a new message and send it from your web-based email address.
I want to install Easy Duplicate Finder™ on my new computer using my license key. How do I do that?
If you ever need to reinstall the software or move it to a different computer, you can go to the "About" screen inside the program, make a note of your license key and then remove it. This will reset the key so that you can reactivate it on a new installation (this feature is limited to 3 times).
Note: if your license key has expired, please visit the What's New page on the site and download the version that was released before your key expired. An expired key will not activate on any version released after expiration.
How do I upgrade to the latest version of Easy Duplicate Finder™?
If you are a registered (licensed) user, simply click on the Check for Updates… link and download the latest version. Then launch the installation file and follow the prompts. You don't need to uninstall the old version to upgrade.
Why is there an expiration date on my Easy Duplicate Finder™ license?
When you purchase a license for Easy Duplicate Finder™, the license unlocks the program forever, so that you can use Easy Duplicate Finder™ for as long as you want. As for the expiry date, it's set to show you the period during which you will be able to download free updates. Once the license expires, you can continue using your version of the program, but you will need to extend your license to continue getting updates and have access to email support.
Remember that each computer is assigned a unique license ID. Once activated, the software will not work on any other computer unless you either remove the key using the About section of Easy Duplicate Finder™ or ask our Support Team to transfer your license.
My system crashed and Easy Duplicate Finder™ got unregistered. How do I get my software up and running again?
Install Easy Duplicate Finder again, just as if you were installing it on a new computer. When prompted, enter your current license key and proceed to activation. The activation will fail and you'll get an option to activate the software by email. Click on "Activate by email" and fill out the details including why the reactivation is necessary. Submit the email. We will reactivate your license key and you'll be able to use it to activate the software again.
I thought I had purchased a license for 3 computers, but it looks like I've purchased a single-PC license. Is there any way to upgrade my license for the price difference between the two?
Please log into your account from this page. To the right of your license key, you'll see two links - to renew and to upgrade. Click on the Upgrade button and follow the prompts.
How do I log into my account on easyduplicatefinder.com?
You can log into your Easy Duplicate Finder™ account here. Use your account to retrieve your license key and check your subscription. Your login ID is the email address you used when you purchased the program. Also keep in mind that passwords are case-sensitive.
Features & Options
Can I use Easy Duplicate Finder™ on network drives?
Yes, you can. Easy Duplicate Finder should work on any network device as long as there is a drive letter assigned to it and the device is not a wireless one.
How do I search for duplicate files in just one folder?
When you use Easy Duplicate Finder™ to search for duplicate files, you don't have to scan your whole hard drive. Simply drag & drop the folders you want to scan into the Include to Scan area and launch the search. When the scan is complete, use Assistant to quickly select the duplicate you want to move, rename or delete.
How do I use the "Music Tags" mode to find duplicate songs?
Here is how you can find duplicate songs using the "Music Tags" mode:
- As the Scan Mode, select Compare Music Tags.
- Go to Settings to select the tags you want to compare songs by (title, artist, etc.).
- Select the folders where you want to look for duplicate songs and click Start.
- When the scan is complete, go through the search results and select the songs you wish to move or delete.
Tip: double-click any song to preview it. This will save you from accidentally deleting a song you may want to keep.
How can I make sure the program doesn't delete files that are not duplicates by mistake?
Sometime when you are searching for duplicate files by name or date only, the software can mark some files as duplicates by mistake. To prevent this from happening, use a more advance file comparison method, such as CRC Checksum. And if you want 100% accurate results, go to Easy Duplicate Finder™ settings and select byte-by-byte comparison. This scanning method will compare every single byte of the two or more files and will only mark files that are exactly the same as duplicates.
How do I configure Easy Duplicate Finder™ to sync with my iTunes/iPhoto/Windows Media Player library?
If you want Easy Duplicate Finder™ to not only delete duplicate songs but also sync your iTunes/iPhoto/Windows Media Player library, you'll need to enable the relevant sync option. To do that, click on Settings, go to the File Search tab and select the iTunes/iPhoto/Windows Media Player Library Synchronization checkbox. Click OK to save the new settings.
I've scanned some folders for duplicates and got lots of results. Now I want to make sure I don't delete files from a specific folder and its subfolders. How do I do that?
When you go to Step 3 to examine the scan results, right-click on any file in the folder you want to exclude from deletion and select "Remove this folder and subfolders from results". This way you can be sure you won't delete files located in the folder by mistake.
Is there a way to use Easy Duplicate Finder to compare files against files in a specific folder?
Yes, Easy Duplicate Finder has a mode called Master Select Mode, which you can enable in the program Settings under the File Search tab. This mode allows you to run very specific scans and find duplicates in specified folders only.
When you use the Master Select Mode, Easy Duplicate Finder asks you to select a Master Folder - a folder the program will use to compare other folders with. After you select the Master Folder, click on the Search Range tab, select the specific folders you want to compare with the Master Folder, then run the scan the usual way. Note that only the specified folders will be scanned.
What does the "Replace with Symbolic Link" duplicates file management option do?
When you finish scanning your computer with Easy Duplicate Finder, you can select different options to manage duplicate files by clicking on "Manage Duplicates". One of these options is called "Replace with Symbolic Link". This option is very handy if you want to save disk space, yet keep all original file entries for easy file access. Here's how it works:
- Easy Duplicate Finder detects and removes selected duplicate files
- The file entries remain in their original location, but the duplicate files are replaced by tiny links that point to the original file
- When you open the symbolic link as you would open a file, the original file opens up.
This way only one file remains, but all previous duplicate entries stay in their respective locations.
Is there a way to compare files in folder A against files in folder B with Easy Duplicate Finder?
Yes, there is. Just go to the Scan Mode drop-down menu and choose Folder Comparison. Then add a folder to the "Include to Scan" area and Easy Duplicate Finder will treat files in this folder as the originals. Then add folders you want to compare against the original folder to the second scan area to the right and run a scan. When done, use Easy Duplicate Finder to delete the duplicates as you normally would.
What exactly does the Folder Comparison scan mode do?
The Folder Comparison mode is a special scan mode that makes it easy to compare files in two or more folders. It treats files in Source Folders as originals (master files), thus helping you to avoid any confusion when you're choosing which files to delete and which to keep. This mode is great for comparing files on external drives with files on your computer and merging folders.
My Windows computer won't let me install Easy Duplicate Finder™. What to do?
Most likely, your computer needs you to run the installer as Administrator. Here is how you can do that:
- Right-click on the edfSetup.exe setup file
- Select "Run as Administrator..."
- Follow the setup instructions.
I've just deleted duplicate iTunes songs, but iTunes still sees duplicate music. Why is that?
This usually happens when you manually delete music files on your computer, and then open iTunes. In that case iTunes may still list those songs, even though they are actually gone. The best way to deal with this problem is use Easy Duplicate Finder™ to delete duplicate iTunes songs and make sure that all iTunes options are enabled in the program settings. This way Easy Duplicate Finder™ will sync with iTunes when it deletes duplicates on your computer and iTunes will not display false results anymore.
Easy Duplicate Finder™ isn't detecting some files that I know are duplicates. Why is that?
There may be many reasons for that. Try doing the following:
- Some files could be marked as temporary. To fix it, go to program settings and uncheck the "Skip temporary files" box.
- Photos: your photos may look the same, but they may have different metadata. Go to Settings and uncheck "Include EXIF tags", then repeat the scan.
- Music: in Settings change the scan mode to "Compare music tags". This allows you to compare the same songs that may have slightly different length and different bitrate. The default music tags under this option are Artist and Title.
- Perform a manual check of the suspected duplicates. To do that, go to Settings, click on the Tools tab and use the CRC calculator. This tool will manually compare two (or more) suspected duplicates for exact match. If the CRC is the same, then most likely the files are duplicates.
Another reason why Easy Duplicate Finder™ is not seeing some files as duplicates is when they are in different formats. For example, you may have the same song saved as MP3 and as WAV. It's the same song to you, but every single duplicate finder will not display it as a duplicate because to the software it's two completely different files. However, if you search for duplicate songs by name, you will get both files displayed by Easy Duplicate Finder™ and will be suggested to remove one of them.
The Music Tag scan mode is making Easy Duplicate Finder™ crash. What do I do?
Sometimes scanning music with blank tags can cause an exception error. If you've encountered this problem, check if the music you are trying to scan using the music tags mode actually has any tags (title, artist, album, genre, bitrate, etc.). If the tags are missing, try scanning for duplicate songs using other search methods available in the program settings.
I'm trying to scan my MP3 player with Easy Duplicate Finder™ and it's not working.
To scan the content of you MP3 player, make sure it's connected to your computer and has a drive letter assigned to it. Unless there is a drive letter for your device, you won't be able to scan it with Easy Duplicate Finder™.
Sometimes even if there is a drive letter assigned to the device, the device may have restricted access to protect DMR (digital media rights). If that's the case, then your only option is to copy the music to your hard drive, delete duplicates with Easy Duplicate Finder™, and replace the music on your MP3 player.
Easy Duplicate Finder™ found lots of duplicates, but I can't delete them. Why is that?
There are several reasons why you may not be able to delete the duplicates. The most common fixes for this problem are the following:
- Verify that you are using the program as administrator. To do that, close the program, right-click on its shortcut on your desktop and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.
- The files you are trying to delete are being used by another program. Shut down all programs except Easy Duplicate Finder™ and try deleting the duplicates again.
- UAC (User Access Control) is blocking the deletion process. Try disabling UAC or editing its sensitivity from the Control Panel, then try deleting duplicates again.
Tip: try to right-click on any file in the Easy Duplicate Finder™ results that you want to delete. Select “Open the folder containing the file” and see if you are able to delete the file in Windows Explorer. If not, then most likely you don't have the necessary permissions from the administrator of your computer.
I'm trying to install Easy Duplicate Finder™ and it's not working. How do I fix this?
There are several things that can cause this problem, so it's impossible to tell you exactly why your installation fails. However, there are some common reasons and fixes:
- you are not logged in as Administrator. Log in as Administrator, right-click Easy Duplicate Finder™ installation package and select "Run as administrator"
- your security software is interfering with the installation. Temporarily disable your security software and run Easy Duplicate Finder™ installer. Alternatively add Easy Duplicate Finder™ to the Ignore List.
- you've downloaded the wrong version. Make sure that you've downloaded the right installation package for your operating system. Easy Duplicate Finder™ is available for both Windows and Mac.
- you are trying to install Easy Duplicate Finder™ from a flash drive. Try copying the installation package to your desktop and running the installation again.
- UAC (User Account Control) is too restrictive. Go to the Control Panel and edit your UAC settings.
I've accidentally deleted some files I need. What to do?
Don't panic! As long as you haven't closed the program, Easy Duplicate Finder™ can undo the changes and bring your files back even if you've selected to delete them permanently. If you realize that you've deleted the files you still need, simply click on the Undo button that is activated as soon as you delete, rename or move the duplicates. You will be asked if you really want to undo the changes. Hit Yes and your files will be back.
And if you closed Easy Duplicate Finder™ before you had the chance to recover accidentally deleted files, we suggest that you use a file recovery program.
Why can't I select the "Keep files in this folder" option?
If you haven't highlighted a file in the list, this option will not work. Click on one of the files in the list to highlight it, and then use the "Select duplicates" menu item to choose the option you need.
Windows 10 keeps deleting Easy Duplicate Finder whenever I download it. Why is that and how can I prevent it?
Windows 10 acts like that because there is a problem with Windows Defender and it marks Easy Duplicate Finder as a false positive. We suggest that you disable Windows Defender and get a better anti-virus program, such as Avast or AVG. Once you start using a third party anti-virus, you'll be able to download and install Easy Duplicate Finder without any problems. We guaranteed that Easy Duplicate Finder is 100% malware-free.
Why are some detected files marked "Read only" and is it safe to delete them?
When you scan your entire drive with Easy Duplicate Finder, you may see some files marked "Read only" in the scan results. These files are automatically write-protected by the operating system or the applications that are using them. Easy Duplicate Finder can delete read-only files, but you should not touch them unless you are absolutely sure that deleting them will not interfere with other software you may be using.